Don’t let the art of decorating go unnoticed.
Whether it’s an office or an entire building, furnishing requires commitment and skills. To become an interior designer years of study are required, with a three-year degree in architecture, at the end of which one can specialize with a master’s degree course in interior architecture.
The figure of the interior designer (or interior architect), not to be confused with that of decorator (in vogue in recent years), deals with the design of spaces and objects of daily use within a closed environment, both it a commercial space or a private residence, a workplace or a hospitality space. While the decorator deals solely with the aesthetic aspect of an interior space (objects, paintings, palettes), the interior architect must be able to develop and apply creative solutions and have the technical knowledge for the various options and spaces who draws.
The design does not focus only on the aesthetic aspects and good taste, but focuses attention on the practical and functional aspects of living in an enclosed space, for example, respect for passageways, preventing them from being obstructed by the wrong sizing of the furniture, and again the choice of quality materials and cutting-edge technologies, to ensure the best comfort while keeping up with the times.
A piece of furniture is not limited only to the arrangement of furniture, but implies accessories, lighting, appliances, gadgets, etc. The difficulty, and the skill of the interior architect, consists in creating harmony between the objects found in the same room.
Of the interior projects published in magazines or websites, we only see the final result, ignoring all the previous phases. However, we can identify at least seven fundamental steps to carry out an interior design project.
- BRIEFING WITH THE CUSTOMER: In this phase the basis of trust with the customer is established and for this reason it is necessary to better organize the customer’s wishes, perhaps proposing a questionnaire that touches on all the elements of the interior design and the needs to be met.
- SPACE OF THE INTERVENTION: This is the inspection to evaluate the space of the intervention, with measurements of the walls and annotation of the systems that will have to be considered in the design phase, as well as the materials that you will want or will eventually have to keep, so that the work gives a result homogeneous and harmonious.
- FIRST IDEAS: First sketches of the project, flow of ideas and inspirations with consequent communication to the customer to verify if these comply with the needs and wishes of the latter
- DEFINITION OF THE PROJECT: The ideas previously collected and confirmed by the customer are, in this phase, expressed in a scale drawing (computer or by hand).
- CHOICE OF MATERIALS, SUPPLIERS AND QUOTES: choosing collaborators efficiently is essential for the success of the project.
- WORK CALENDAR: it is the phase in which the schedule of works for the realization of the interior design project is defined (demolitions, constructions, tracking and installation of systems, etc.)
- REALIZATION: final phase that culminates in the finished project.